Thursday, October 06, 2005

Handed my notice in today.

Decided, that was it, enough is enough, I can't waste any more of my energy on a job that doesn't give me anything back. Yesterday I was so terrified at what I was about to that I almost didn't do anything.

Today, I changed my world.

I'm 33 and for the past 5 and a half years I've worked in the lightning protection industry (don't ask it's not that interesting - although I do know a couple of interesting(?) facts about lightning), admin, teamleader type stuff. It's paid the bills and a bit, it's been a mostly good environment to work and more and more the job itself has been draining the life out me.

Well not anymore.

Four weeks from today I'll officially be unemployed, I won't even be able to claim benefits because I gave my job up of my own free will, I don't know yet how I'll pay the rent. And yet, bizarrely, I feel so excited I think I might have trouble sleeping.

Do you want to know why?

Ok, maybe you don't but I'm going to write it anyway, you can choose what you do.

And that's exactly it - choice. I have chosen to take this almighty risk because I want to put my energies into something a damn sight more rewarding than another day shuffling a thousand bits of paper while juggling 50 metaphorical balls.

I want to be a therapist. 'Oh god' I can hear you say. 'He's found God, Buddha, Carl Rogers or what the hell ever and now he thinks he can save the world, become a lentil eating hippy, [insert your own critical comment here].'

Or maybe you don't, I shouldn't pre-judge you, the reader, we haven't even met yet, possibly never will. Whatever you think or don't, know this - my intention, as I type away here tonight and Conker purrs quietly away to herself at the bottom of the bed, is to chronicle the next year of my life as I take some more real steps towards my goal (I have already started but I'll bring you up to speed over time if needs be). Maybe you'll be interested and stop by for a look every now and then, maybe you won't. Whichever, it's your choice.

See you soon.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

seeing as i haven't written on my thing since march, how on earth did you find me and why comment?
are you insane?

i probably should start writing on it again

10:44 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home